Big changes for the rosters of the mighty eight teams of the WNHL after this year’s draft at the Rex Hotel. Rookie GM Phil Busby fried some brains by taking Ryan Rumsby in the 2nd round, the earliest a goalie has been selected in WNHL History. That opened up chaos as goalies started to go and players like Chris Woods ended up on the Legends after a long stay with the Tunnelers and rookie stand outs like Chewy ended up on Crown Room Kings. September 6th is opening night and we will see how it all shakes out for another season of WNHL magic. Check out new hype video here
In June the WNHL Leadership Group met at an undisclosed location in Welland to discuss new changes for the WNHL moving forward to ensure our plan of world dominance was kept on track.
Here are some of the updates:
- A New Age for the WNHL – All new players of the WNHL must be 30 years or older. All current players that are under 30 will maintain their spot but looked down as the “Young Whipper-Snappers” they are.
- Expanded Playoffs – We will be expanding playoffs to 8 games. All teams will play each other once and the final night of the playoffs we will regular season standings battle of (1vs8, 2vs7, 3vs6, 4vs5)
- New Playoff Tiebreakers – After some feedback from GM’s Players and our fans new playoff tiebreakers will be Points, Wins, Playoff Head-to-Head, Goal Differential.
- Regular Season Champions – The top team of the regular season will receive a locker room pizza party, pick of their favorite rink and colour jersey for their excellent work
- Long Term Injury Replacements – Long term injury replacements player will be voted on for approval by the GM’s and no long term injury replacements will be granted after January 1st 2024.
Save the Dates
- July 29th – WNHL Golf Tournament @ Riverview Golf Course (spots still available for $85 that includes golf, food and frienship)
- August 2nd and 17th – WNHL Tryout Games (new and returning players)
- August 23rd – WNHL Draft @ Rex Hotel
- September 6th – WNHL Season Opener
- November 4th – Welland Food Drive
- December 2nd – WNHL Christmas Classic Tournament @ Youth Arena (not connected to the regular season)
- January 24th – First Week of WNHL Playoffs
- March 13th – Games Canceled for March Break
- March 23rd – WNHL Championship @ King Street Ice Palace
There was 8-weeks in total for the WNHL 4on4 Spring Fling and the Gatfield Goons won all 8 games on their way to 4on4 Championship. They took a 4-0 Championship Game win over the Rose City Rage. They received beautiful T-Shirts from the Presstime Design and designed by Pete Voynovich (The indefensible defenseman) and our newest trophy to the WNHL Collection (Trophy arranged by Mike “I am the” Law).
The Queenston Street Night Owls took the early game to win the Domino’s Duel to beat the Cotton Mills Knights for two large pizzas to get their first win of the season.
The Spring Fling 4on4 will be back next season as the response from the players was very positive! Thanks to everyone that played and enjoyed the mini-season.